Links

3.20.2020

News from the Front

There is nothing about social distancing
or even shelter-in-place 
that can stop you from talking to strangers.
...........................................

I made one last trip in to the office today
on Rocinante.

I arrived at the almost empty college parking lot.
Watched a car seem to drive around the lot as if lost. 
It was driven by a young woman, with another riding shotgun.
They drove to the edge, 
then did a slow three point turn and came towards me,
only to pull into a parking space a little ways off.

Then the driver got out and changed places with the passenger.

"Driving Lessons!" she called to me.
"Hell of a time to learn to drive" said I,
"But major bonus points for that three-point-turn
and for your general hopefulness!"

The smiled and waved, and left.
.........................................

On the way home I stopped to top off Rosie's tank
Pump boy says "What do you want in her?"
A full face helmet is also good for virus control.
So I shout.
"Its the end of the world, Son - Fill'er with Premium!"
"Damn Straight! Ma'am"

...................................................

From my front porch.

Three young adult men on bicycles
cruising the neighborhood.
One is wearing a plastic Joker Mask
(Heath Ledger version)
"Nice outfit for the Apocalypse, Dude!"
He laughs his best Joker laugh and as he rides by
I catch the sight of his Scooby Doo backpack.
"The touch of Scooby Doo, brings the whole thing together!"
He lets go and gives me two thumbs up.

.........................................................

It is dusk now, and a couple of blocks over 
Someone is lighting some hoarded fireworks
Here, halfway between New Years Eve and the Fourth of July


What Weird and Precious times we live in.