Links

10.21.2012

Morris Dees on George McGovern

October 21, 2012

Dear Peggy,
It's a sad day for our country. I just learned that my great friend George McGovern has died at the age of 90.

Senator McGovern was a true American hero.

As a pilot during World War II, he helped liberate Europe from the Nazis – once saving the lives of his crew by safely landing his damaged bomber.

But that was just the beginning of his heroism.
George McGovern and Morris Dees during
McGovern's 1972 presidential campaign.
After being elected to the U.S. Senate in the 1960s, he took a strong but highly unpopular stand against the Vietnam War. If only our leaders had listened.

His anti-war activism was just one facet of his political career.

The man I knew was a fierce and unwavering champion of society's most vulnerable – a kind, compassionate and principled man who believed deeply in justice and devoted his life to creating a level playing field for all. A child of the Great Depression, he fought poverty and hunger, both at home and abroad, with a rare vigor.

I first met Senator McGovern as he was preparing for his 1972 presidential campaign. It was also shortly before Joe Levin and I launched the Southern Poverty Law Center, and we were right in the middle of a lawsuit that would desegregate the all-white Alabama Legislature.

Because of my admiration for Senator McGovern – and because he shared the same values as you and me – I was proud to serve as his finance chairman when he ran for president. He lost to Nixon, as we all know. But looking back, I think a great many Americans would agree that the country got it wrong that year.

I saw Senator McGovern many times in recent years, and he visited my home in Montgomery, Alabama, on a number of occasions. He was a powerful advocate for the work of the Southern Poverty Law Center, believing passionately in our fight for justice and tolerance.

We owe him our gratitude for everything he did for America. I'll miss him.

But we can draw inspiration from his life and what he stood for. Thank you for standing with us. Senator McGovern would be proud.

Sincerely,

Morris Dees
Founder, Southern Poverty Law Center